Tuesday 16 March 2010

Farewell to a brave warrior

Some months ago I wrote an article entitled Salute to Brave Warriors, in which I advised readers that the "Why South Africa Sucks" blog had been forced to close down due to hostile police activity. The events which occurred last year involved large numbers of armed South African police arriving at the home of Uhuru Guru, one of the original South Africa Sucks bloggers. The police kicked in the door, in front of Uhuru Guru's terrified young family, arrested him and held him in custody over night (not a pleasant experience for a white man in South Africa).

It was made quite clear that were the blog to continue the consequences would be serious.

I am now sad to report the death of Doodler, another of the original South Africa Sucks bloggers, and the brother of Uhuru Guru.

The official account of Doodler's death, as reported in the South African Bleed newspaper is that he visited Randburg Police Station, whereupon he went into the Gentleman's restroom, where he proceeded to shoot himself in the head, the story does not indicate that there were any witnesses to the suicide. A full translation of the newspaper report can be read at the new US based version of the blog "My South Africa Sucks" by clicking here.

Doodler, real name C. J. ‘Neels’ Oosthuizen, leaves a wife and three children.

I have no evidence upon which to question the official South African police account of what occurred, however, any time someone dies as a result of a gun shot wound in a police station one hopes that there will be a thorough investigation, this is especially so after the events of last year.

I have exchanged e-mails with Doodler in the past, and felt I knew him, I certainly admired and respected him. He was a brave man and will be sadly missed.

My condolences go out to his family and friends.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

this is the third person who openly said bad things about south africa to end up "committing suicide " this year ! It is astonishing to hear this ,and rest assured that this will not be properly investigated .

Frank Ellis said...

You were a brave man. RIP. Maybe these words will some comfort to your family at this time: “Turn thee unto me, and have mercy upon me; for I am desolate and afflicted. The troubles of my heart are enlarged: O bring thou me out of my distresses” (Psalms, 25: 16-17).

God bless.

Frank Ellis